How To Paint A Wet Wall
It’s no secret that painting a wall in color is to bring joy and joie de vivre to your home. And if this is particularly valid for bright tones, darker shades have the ability to calm the mind, calm nervousness or promote better sleep.
It is often difficult to repaint a wall victim of excessive humidity, but with the right method, you can do it! Read our professional painter tips here to learn everything.
Many buildings suffer from humidity, caused by bad weather or poor installation of sanitary circuits. Indeed, marks may appear, or the paint becomes duller or yellows on a surface. It can also happen that your plaster is peeling off or the wallpaper is peeling off. Of course, when stains spoil the aesthetics of a wall, you want to give it a new, healthier, cleaner look. But in the case of a wet wall, several parameters must be taken into account before embarking on painting a surface.
Identify the cause of dampness before repainting
First of all, a trace of humidity on the wall can be symptomatic of a much more serious problem. It is therefore very important to know the causes and treat them upstream before thinking about aesthetics. So look for the source of the humidity.
– It could be a leak in the pipes (yours or the one in the building). Plumbing problems cause what is called water damage that can lead to the collapse of entire walls or ceilings. Even if the problem seems unimportant, everything should be checked.
– Moisture can come from outside, this is due to improper installation of the insulation system or the lack of insulation in your walls
– There may be what is called capillary rise (we rise from the ground)
– The most common source is also condensation. That is, the wall becomes damp due to insufficient heating or ventilation.
– You may also have a roof that has a leak, the latter then draining onto the walls.
– If you do not know how to do it or if you are not sure of your finding, it is always best to call in a professional who will have an eye for detecting the real problems and their origins.
Treat the moisture problem
Putting on a paint right away is useless, if not to aggravate the worries.
– Call on a plumber or an insulation craftsman (roof or wall)
Prepare the surface to repaint
Once you have identified the source of the moisture problem and that it will be addressed, move on to painting the wall!
– Check that the wall is free from mold
– Remove chipped paint or wallpaper residue
– Fill the cracked areas with suitable plaster
– Above all, allow the wet surface to rest before proceeding with the renovation.
Once the wall is ready to be painted, choose products suitable for the humidity of the walls. You can also choose an anti-mold, anti-saltpeter paint, or even microporous or water-repellent paint. Have a specialist like a house painter accompany you so that the result lasts for years without worries.
Signature House Painters offers you quality services mainly focused on interior painting and flexible floor coverings. To change and beautify your apartment, your house or your office’s Signature House is at the service of companies as well as individuals, anxious to advise at best to adapt and meet all your painting needs.
Contact Us today: (202) 280-2694